BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, February 18, 2010

IN THE LAB, AND ABOUT MY GRANDMA

OK, I'm back, ready to finish typing for my blogging assignment. Last time I had the chance to get onto a computer it was at the Layton Library, which I had to quickly wrap up, since my time limit buzzer rang. With no working computer at home, I am eagerly taking every chance I can get to get some computer time to do my assignments.

I must say, this school is pretty strict about being "on task" in the computer lab. I swear, every single time I enter this lab I get caught for doing something that they think is "off task", when in reality I'm getting graphics for a poster project, or (like I'm doing now), trying to finish my Honors English blog. It doesn't help that I have a Ninja turtle background, because that totally makes it seem like I'm on something oppasite of what we're suppost to be doing, but somehow I manage. :) I bet there are like 3 administrators reading this as I type to make sure I truly am "on task".

OMG. I can't believe it. The 5 minute bell for school to get out just rang. To finish up my 500 words, I'll share with you an essay I've been writing about my Grandmother from Puerto Rico.

AN EXAMPLE TO ME
MARIA MERCEDES PEREZ RODRIGUEZ
BY ALISSA ROSADO PERIOD 4
“I never had a grandmother, and that’s why I wanted to try so hard to be the best grandma there ever was!” my Grandma Ria had once told me in her cute Puerto Rican accent. Her true name was Maria, but since grandma ended with the first part of her name, we’d come up with Grandma Ria when we were very young, and called her that ever since. Born and raised in Cayey, Puerto Rico, my Grandma Ria truly was the best grandma there ever was; she invited us grandkids over to spend weekend nights with her, sure to be fun-filled with all of my grandma’s crazy ideas and stories, and always came to visit us on any opportunity she had. She would take time to caringly ask us about our lives, and recent happenings, laughing at all our jokes, and sharing stories of her own. It was just the way that she showed how much she cared that really touched me, and is probably why I am so attached to my grandma today.
Pouring herbal tea into a delicate porcelain cup, my grandma talked of our plans for the day, and how excited she was that I had the chance to spend the weekend at her house. Her short, curly brown hair bounced as she plopped onto bed, and after searching for the remote, turned on Little House in The Prairie – one of her favorite shows. In the middle of the comfortable bed, my grandma had set a bowl of assorted snacks for us to munch on, and in front of her was an ad for the craft store. My grandma and I loved to go shopping. One of our all-time favorite ways to shop was to track down all the yard sells on Saturday mornings. We especially looked for Antique or Estate yard sales, since we both liked to collect antiques and rare old items.
Around my grandma’s house and on the fridge, were pictures and cultural items from central Puerto Rico, and reminders of her home in the tropics. She had also once lived in Connecticut for a time, until she finally decided to move to Utah, after joining the LDS church. The oldest of her 4 children (and the only one born in Puerto Rico) came with her, and was my dad. My grandma had always dreamed of owning her own home, and being more independent, and her home in Farmington, Utah was just perfect for her. It was close to the Lagoon trail, where she often brought me walking, and we would enjoy the scenery and animals along the path. My grandma had always loved nature – her gardens were always full of abundantly blooming flowers, and she could name every single one.
“Come on!” my Grandma said to me excitedly, after a while of watching the show. “Let’s get out!” Hopping down into her little silver car, we drove to all sorts of fun stores, buying crazy make-up, new gadgets for our hair, presents for friends, and always going out to eat somewhere fun after, usually IHop for the all-you-can-eat pancakes and scrambles eggs with sausage and bacon, me grapefruit juice and my grandma herbal tea. Another one of our favorites stores was Ross, where we would spend hours looking for picture frames, or trying on clothes and shoes.
At home, after once again trying on and experimenting with all of our purchases, we calmed down to another quiet movie with snacks. Sometimes we’d even sit at my grandma’s desk and sew some pajama pants. My grandma was skilled in sewing and caring for others, since she worked at a hospital and her mother had been an excellent mid-wife. One night while talking on the couch, my grandma told me how kind-hearted and compassionate towards others her mother had been – I could tell my grandma had developed those same attributes.
As we laughed the night away talking and barely watching the movie, my grandma and I had a blast together, like we always did. As I gradually fell asleep, I realized how grateful I was for my grandma, and the example she set for me. She had gone through many trials, and her positive attitude was really inspirational to me. She taught me more than she knew, and I hoped to one day be half of what she was.

0 comments: